- Appreciating how Ithaca is Gorges. Hiking around Six Mile Creek and playing with baby birds. Collecting a family of crayfish (and an adorable tadpole with legs!) at Flat Rock. An afternoon stroll through the Cornell Plantations followed by a walk through Sapsucker Woods and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, deterred only by hungry mosquitoes. We didn’t see any woodpeckers, but we did hear lots of frogs.
- Catching up on books, movies, and TV shows. I finally got around to watching Game of Thrones! And re-reading J.D. Salinger’s Franny and Zooey. And I can finally work on my “to-watch” list of movies. Recommendations (of books, movies, or TV shows) are always appreciated.
- Sipping cold drinks on a hot day. The fat drops of condensation dripping off of your glass of lemonade, bottle of beer, or cup of iced coffee. Toasting wine glasses to a delicious dinner cooked by a friend and eaten outdoors on the perfect warm evening. I even set aside my aversion to weird fruit to try a cocktail of frozen peach in champagne (peaches are weird).
- Waking up in not my own bed. I don’t necessarily mean waking up next to a lover, although that is always a marvelous feeling. But just breaking out of your daily routine – waking up somewhere different and knowing you had a great night and have an exciting day ahead of you. I had a memorable morning when I woke up on a mattress on the floor of my friend’s apartment and threw Ghiradelli squares at another friend who was snoring on the couch in order to wake him up. A good way to wake up, no?
- Being a chemistry undergrad. Seriously, we undergrad chem majors never tire of having the same conversations. We share our anxiety about having to take GREs and procrastinating grad school apps. We excitedly talk about our summer research and long hours spent in the lab. We timidly compare resumes and lament about how we could have (and should have) tried harder and done better. But we all know that what’s done is done, what’s to come will come, and we’re in a not-at-all bad place right now.
- The summer closet. Patterned sundresses. Birkenstocks (with everything). Denim short shorts. Short skirts. Tank tops. I already have the worst tan lines, but oh well…